According to the Market Intelligence Department at Leatherhead Food Research, these are the top food and beverage trends in the UK.
10. Rising obesity – innovations within the ingredients sector will explore the addition of fibres and proteins to help people stay full.
9. Convenience – people will continue to demand convenience to fit in with ever-busy lives.
8. Frozen foods slump – the market is beginning to thaw.
7. Small indulgences – people forgoing large expenses in favour of little treats.
6. Provenance – a demand for British-sourced products.
5. Ever-expanding tastes – more cuisines from around the world.
4. Riding out the recession – people are staying in and tightening their belts.
3. Health and wellness – a rising awareness of healthy eating.
2. Sustainability – companies are becoming more transparent with people and moving back to simpler packaging.
1. Reformulations and stealthy reductions – the removal of artificial additives and ingredients will continue into 2011.