The One Club for Art and Copy in New York salute the top 10 digital campaigns of the Digital Decade. (Many thanks to Amy in Lisbon.)
10. WHOPPER SACRIFICE (by Crispin Porter & Bogusky, 2009). The Burger King campaign asked Facebook users to give up 10 friends in exchange for coupons for free Whopper sandwiches. Facebook, which was not party to the campaign, pressured Burger King to end it early — perhaps generating more publicity than if it had run its course.
9. UNIQLOCK (by Projector, 2007). Japanese clothing retailer, Uniqlo, had a branded widget that offered users music, dance clips and a qlock-er clock.
8. SUBSERVIENT CHICKEN (by Crispin Porter & Bogusky, 2004). To promote the TenderCrisp chicken sandwich, Burger King invited visitors to an oddball website to order a chicken to perform fanciful tasks.
7. NIKE PLUS (by R/GA, 2006). Equipped with sensors that transmit data, Nike Plus shoes were supported by a website that Nike dubbed an “online goal-tracking running motivator.”
6. THE HIRE (by Fallon Worldwide, 2001-2). Clive Owen played a mysterious driver in a series of shorts directed by filmmakers like John Frankenheimer and Ang Lee.
5. HBO VOYEUR (by the BBDO New York division of the Omnicom Group and Big Spaceship, 2007). In an HBO campaign that included a website, passersby on a Manhattan street were invited to watch the goings-on in eight faux apartments.
4. ECO DRIVE (by AKQA, 2008). Fiat’s software recorded driving habits and offered tips on efficiency.
3. DREAM KITCHENS (by Forsman & Bodenfors, 2005). Ikea’s first online adverts presented 3-D renditions of six wish-list kitchens.
2. DOVE EVOLUTION (by Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide, 2006) Before appearing on TV, Dove’s online advert asked for a reassessment of traditional standards of beauty.
1. CHALKBOT (by Wieden & Kennedy, 2009) For the Livestrong Foundation and Nike, consumers submitted digital messages of hope and inspiration that were chalked onto the course of the Tour de France.
You can see videos of all of the ads here: https://www.oneclub.org/digitaldecade